Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

East Park

--

East Park - Kyber Pass
East Park's Kyber Pass

East Park lies about 2 miles (3km) northeast of the City centre and covers an area of c.120 acres (48 Ha). The Victorian or western half of the Park was opened to the public on the 21st June, 1887 - the day of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. This part of the Park was designed by Joseph Fox Sharp, the borough engineer, and covered an area of c.52 acres (21 Ha).

Sharp's design echoed that of Pearson Park, the intention being that land adjoining the perimeter carriage drive should be developed for housing,but this did not happen. Sharp's carriage drive still survives to this day as do his model yacht pond and central avenue/broad walk. Also extant is a rockwork, known as the Kyber Pass, designed by E.A. Peak. Lost features include a small serpentine lake (infilled in the 1950s) and the main entrance gates opposite Telford Street on Holderness Road (replaced with a brutalist concrete gateway in 1964).

Between the end of the Edwardian period and the start of the 1930s, the Park gradually expanded eastwards to occupy a triangular area of land more or less equivalent with its present day boundaries. The new land, bounded on the north by the Summergangs Dyke and Holderness Road on the south, took in the George V Playing Fields and a series of old clay pits once associated with a number of brick and tile works. Surviving Park features from the era include the Ferens Boating Lake (established on land donated by T.R. Ferens in 1913 and extended in 1923); a double arched bridge with decorative balustrading, c.1925; and a rare 1929 Wicksteed Water Chute (listed grade II).

East Park is Hull's largest public park and is often used for large open-air venues such as concerts and the annual Hull Show.


Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.