Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

The Growth of Hessle Road - 1853

--

Why 1853? Well, this was the year the first Ordnance Survey map of Hull was produced. As a result, it is possible to obtain a fairly comprehensive snapshot of Hessle Road and the surrounding area.

The most obvious development since the 1820s is the Hull and Selby Railway line which opened in 1840, running from Kingston Street, westwards, along the Humber bank. With the 1948 opening of Paragon Station, the present main line from the town was formed, joining the original line at Dairycoates Junction. By 1953, the line had played a major role in the development of Hessle Road and continued to do so for many years.

The extreme density of housing and industry in the area are clearly evidenced by the maps. Clearly marked, for example, are the Alfred Street Boiler Works at the junction with Edgar Street, the Myton Steam Mill on the south side of Myton Street and the huge English Street Foundry at the junction with Alfred Street.

To the west of Ropery Street, especially on the south side of the road, the accent is still very clearly a rural environment. Neptune Street stands out as it appears to be lined by some very large houses with opulent laid-out gardens. Two public houses, the Neptune and the Pilot Boy Tavern. Tadman Street and Jackson Street appear on the map but contain very few buildings. Just beyond Jackson Street stood the very substantial Field House in its own substantial grounds surrounded by trees. The Trade Directory identifies the occupiers as horse dealer J. Oxtoby. Field House, which survived until the 1870s, stood at what is now where South Boulevard and Goulton Street intersect.

Many important developments had taken place to the North of Hessle Road. The land that was Simpson and Hare's Gardens had been developed and many of the C20th streets had began to take shape. These included Villa Place, Staniforth Place and New Village (later to become Regent Street). Coutlman Street, to the west, had become a wealthy, elegant suburban thoroughfare.

The land from (approximately) Boulevard to the toll bar was mainly fields and the area between the toll bar and Dairycoates dotted with farm houses. Havelock Street and Albert Street (later Gillet Street) were laid out but no development had yet taken place. The well known Halfway House Inn is clearly marked on the map.

At this stage, only the area around the original pottery area had been substantially developed. Conditions were very cramped, unhygienic and very unsanitary. Clearly the reason why the 1849 cholera epidemic spread so rapidly in devastating the population of the area.

Hessle Road - 1856 O/S Map

Next Page - The 1870s Developments



Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.