Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

The Growth of Hessle Road
1890 to WW1

--

The twenty years leading up to the First World War (saw Hessle Road become one of the busiest roads in the city. The booming docks and railways saw more and more people and industry attracted to the area. 1907, for example, saw Smith & Nephews moving their premises from the Market Place to 5 Neptune Street as they became registered as a limited company. Lots of familiar commercial premises moved in, The Hull Co-operative Society, Hull Savings Bank, Yorkshire Bank, Barclays Bank all moving in around 1910,

By 1910, Dairycoates had become very industrialized, especially to the south side of Hessle Road. Examples of the development include the L.N.E.R. Wagon works, a B.P. Depot, the Homelight Oil Company works, the N.E.R. Workmen's Institute and the Church of St. Peter & St. Mary (1902) near Liverpool Street.

The new electric trams, which first ran along Hessle Road in 1899, saw the opening of the Liverpool Street tram depot which remained in operation until the very late 1990s when a Safeway Supermarket was built on the site. The electric tramway encouraged even further growth, particularly in the Hawthorne Road area where the housing was generally of a much higher quality with many properties still standing today.

On the 30th August 1906, a statue on the corner of South Boulevard was unveiled following the attack of the Russian Fleet on several Hull Trawlers (see A Russian Outrage). The statue is now the oldest surviving building on this corner of Hessle Road.

Growth of Hull 1856 to 1995

Hessle Road map of 1906
(40 second download at 56kbs)

Hessle Road - Between the Wars



Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.