Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

The Growth of Hessle Road - 1330

--

The area of land to the west of Hull was originally known as Myton Carr, the common pasture land of the Lordship of Myton. The first known written record which mentions the Carr appears around 1330 and it remained a pasture until April 17th 1773 when, in common with most other land in the country, it became enclosed.

Before 1800, the only road through to Hessle was described as: "a lane of the worst condition". It meandered along the route of the present-day Hessle Road. Myton Carr was very open, very marshy and subject to excessive flooding. The road, know as Ings Road, was not very well established and probably not really a through road until the land was enclosed.

The first signs of development commenced after the enclosure when Myton Carr's 170 acres were divided up and sold to former commoners of the land. It was after this that the first 'real' lane along the line of the present Hessle Road developed. The first mention of the lane, known as Patrick Ground Lane, appears in the 'Advertiser' of Saturday 2nd April 1796. Running from the Pinfold (present day Junction of Waverly Street and Great Thorton Street) it ended as a recognisable lane in the area of today's Coltman Street. It is known that the lane was very badly surfaced and largely undeveloped until 1800. A tannery was known to exist at this time, owned by a man called Patrick - who gave the lane its name. It is also believed that a mill stood somewhere in the region of where Neptune Street was eventually built.

Patrick Ground Lane

At the start of the 19th Centenary the Patrick Ground area began a period of rapid development. A young Thomas English (1778-1848)In particular, the southern side of the road, which was then know as 'The Pottery' because of the number of kilns and potteries in the area at the time. Numerous streets were laid out between 1800-1805 and the area became the city's first built-up suburbs outside the original town boundaries. The main character responsible for the development of 'The Potteries' was the wealthy Hull Shipbuilder Thomas English. Today's street layout still follows the original pattern, even though there is almost no trace of the original buildings or, in fact, many of those of subsequent decades. All of the street names were connected in some way with Thomas English.

English Street

No prizes for this one!Clearly named after Thomas English himself. Initially laid out in 1803, it stretched out from the Humber Bank to Ropery Street. The 1826 directory shows the area to be populated by many well-to-do gentlemen, brokers and ship masters. Two public houses are listed, the Baltic Tavern (West Dock Tavern) and the Fox and Grapes.

Edgar Street and Alfred Street

Edgar and Alfred were Thomas's two sons. Edgar Street (after Edgar Wilkins English) was laid out in 1802 and well developed by 1817. In 1826 the residents included numerous craftsmen, including; joiners,shoe makers, straw hat makers, a taylor, a whip maker and mattress makers. The one listed public house, The Barrel, was later to become a café.

Alfred Street (after Alfred Dale English) was partly laid out in 1802 and built on during 1803. The 1826 directory shows just 12 residents including; two cow keepers, a manure dealer, a cart owner and two gentlemen. A public house, The Gate, is also listed.

Cent Per Cent Street (St. James Street)

Laid out by English in 1802, drawn up into lots and sold at a profit of 100%, it is easy to see how its name originated. The western side was built on in 1803. The eastern side was laid out as plots and gardens and known as 'Spring Gardens'. The 1826 directory shows a strong maritime influence listed in the 15 inhabitants of the time; merchants, packet stewards, ship owners, a sail maker (John Dutchman) and mariners. Discount Court and Premium Street both ran off, continuing the theme of the street itself.

St. James Church circa 1900Substantial changes occurred in 1831 with the building of St. James Church on the northeast side (demolished 1957). The Lord Mayor, Avison Terny, laid the foundation stone on 14th December 1829 and the Archbishop of York formally consecrated the building on 27th August 1831. The formidable tower stood 100 feet high. The building was designed by J.A. Hansom - of Hansom Cab fame - and funded jointly by Hull Corporation and government grant.

Neptune Street

The western limit of Hull's very first suburb, Neptune Street was first laid out in 1804. Development was slow, but by the time of the 1826 directory, listed residents include a mixture of mariners, merchants and two Baptist ministers. The Neptune public house is listed as having 'large and exclusive tea gardens'.

St. Mark's Square

Enclosed by Alfred Street, English Street, Edgar Street and Cent Per Cent Street; when first built it was the centre of population of the new suburb. The 1826 directory shows the area as being populated by many varied occupants ranging from gentlemen to straw hat and basket makers.

Ropery Street

Built alongside the Ropery which was erected in 1802. The east side was only partly developed and, by 1826, only two cart owners and a cow keeper are listed as residing there.

View a map of Patrick Ground Lane - 1817

Page 2 - The Birth of Hessle Road



Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.