Page Formating Only

Hullwebs History of Hull


Hull Fair Image Gallery


October 1971

Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Hull Fair
Image Description
P4240134 One of the rides I (Alan Brigham) went to work on. We spent about a half of one hour on this ride before transferring over to the Hurricanes.
P4240135 The bumping cars where everyone was waiting for the arrival of the Lord Mayor for the opening ceremony.
P4240136 Making up a ride - was it a waltzer? - on the day before the fair was due to open.
P4240141 Ready to pounce on the next set of customers on, (Crows?) 'Hurricane Jets'. Alan Brigham in the white coat with school friend David Newton on his right. While working the rides was fun, it was also amazing hard work, with only seconds to collect the cash from your set of customers as the ride only ever stopped for a few seconds.
P4240142 Ever the opportunist, Dennis Brigham photographed his son, my brother, Leslie Brigham in the ideal location.
P4240143 The inevitable argument about change which, invariably, slowed the collecting down and resulted in a flying lesson on the side of a ride as you tried to collect the last of the cash. Most of the arguments were over the children's fares as they parents never wanted to pay full-fare for their kids.
P4240144 Neil Brigham in the pram (he has let go of the ball now) and sister Julie impersonating the Scales of Justice with a brace of goldfish. Problem was, our father, Dennis, was just too good at darts. He never lost.
P4240145 The opening ceremony.
P4240150 Now why didn't take the job on this ride? Although it looks like a simple life, many of the smaller ride had no power and were turned by hand using a large crank handle.
P4240151 Duplicate.

In 1971 when David Newton and I worked on the fair, we didn't quite expect the wage packet we received at the end of the first night. As I remember it, we had six cars each, with two passengers per car paying £1.50 per ride. Each ride lasted four minutes and the turn-around, getting the old punters out and new ones in and paid for, lasted two minutes. After 7pm, thanks to a continuous queue, this was easily achieved. The ride easily cleared £1,000 that first evening. All to the nonstop sound of Rod Stewart's Maggie May.

When we took the job on, we did so on the offer of a share in the daily take. I can't remember if we were told what this percentage would be, but we were expecting a lot more than the 10/- (50p) we were given at the end of the evening (midnight?). I have often wondered what happened the following night when we didn't turn up!

Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.