Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

KHCT - 1875 to 1900

--

Potted History of Kingston Upon Hull Corporation Transport

 
Home
Page
1875 to 1900 1901
to
1911
1912
to
1920
1921
to
1925
1926
to
1931 
1932
to
1937
1938
to
1943
1944
to
1949
1950
to
1957
1958 to 1968 1969
to
1972
1972
to
1979
Home
Page

1975 to 1900

1875
January 9th saw the commencement of a horse tramway along Beverly Road, to be followed by Spring Bank, The Pier via Whitefriargate, Hessle Road, Anlaby Road and Holderness Road by July 1877.

1889
On 22nd May, the steam tramway commenced with a route along Great Union Street and Hedon Road to Lee Smith Street.

1896
A 300,000 loan, obtained by the Council after applying for special powers to Parliament, allowed work to commence on an electric tramway system.

Hull Street tramways (a horse tramway) purchased by the Corporation for 12,500 and operated by W. Nettleton & Co., on behalf of the Corporation, pending the building of the electric tramway. 


1898
Stepney Lane depot and way yard established.  Liverpool Street  depot and works opened.  Wheeler Street depot opened.

  First rails laid in Porter Street on 9th June by Alderman F. Larard.


1899

 

 

 


Picture:

Electric tramways inaugurated along Anlaby Road and Hessle Road on 5th July, following the commissioning of the Osborne Street Power Generating Station.

Corporation spends 15,500 on the purchase of the Drypool and Marfleet Steam Tramway Co.  Tramway leased back to the sellers pending the construction of an electric tramway.

30th September saw the last horse-drawn tram withdrawn.

  Electric tramcars pictured in Carr Lane  


1900
Electric tramway along Holderness Road to Lee Street on 10th April.

     

Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.