Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

KHCT - 1938 to 1943

--

Potted History of Kingston Upon Hull Corporation Transport

 
Home
Page
1875 to 1900 1901
to
1911
1912
to
1920
1921
to
1925
1926
to
1931 
1932
to
1937
1938
to
1943
1944
to
1949
1950
to
1957
1958
to
1968
1969
to
1972
1972
to
1979
Home
Page

1938 to 1943

1938 Tramway service M (Marfleet) ceased on 1st January and replaced by motorbus service 47.

Wold Road motorbus service launched 19th February.

3rd September - tramway service B (Beverley Road) withdrawn and replaced by  trolleybus service 63 the next day.

Bilton Grange motorbus service 48, to Wingfield Road/Kyffin Avenue, introduced 18th December.


1939 Motorbus service 1, Queen Victoria Square to Fish Dock, withdrawn permanently 16th September.

Tramway track recovery commenced to provide materials for munitions.


1940 Tramway Service H (Holderness Road) withdrawn on 17th February.  Replaced by trolleybus service 64 the next day.  Service extended to Paragon Square on 11th August.

Sixteen double decker motorbuses loaned to London Transport on 26th October, replacing vehicles lost during air-raids.  Ten were transferred to Sheffield on December 21st with all returning to Hull by May 1941.


1941 Central Garage and 43 motorbuses (over 1/3 of the fleet) destroyed by bombing during the night of 7th/8th May.  A bus cleaner (a relative of the webmaster of this site) was killed.  All trolleybus and tramway overhead lines in the city centre were destroyed.  The front of the Hedon Road depot was also demolished.

Overnight dispersal of motor and trolley busses to parks and suburban roads introduced.  Service maintained with a load of motorbuses from Leeds and other cities.

Cottingham Road garage damaged and substitute Transport Office destroyed by enemy action on 15th July.

Holderness Road garage roof and much of the Holderness road overhead cabling was destroyed during the enemy action of 18th/19 July.

First new buses built to wartime utility specification introduced during December.

Limited Stop operations introduced for peak-time services on 15th December.


1942 Trolleybuses renumbered to remove the letters on 1st February.  Large blinds bearing the service number introduced as best option during the black-out.

Motorbus service 50 (Pier) withdrawn until January 1944.

Liverpool Street depot received a 1000Kg parachute mine through the roof on the night of 19th/20th May.  Had it not failed to explode, the depot would have been completely  leveled.

Thirty-two tramcars sold to Leeds.

Tramway service A (Anlaby Road) withdrawn 5th September, being replaced the following day by trolleybus service 69.


1943 First of nine trolleybuses using gas-trailers, in an attempt to reduce fuel consumption, introduced 3rd May.  All were withdrawn on 7th October 1944.

Picture:  Tilt-testing AEC283.  Upper deck seats were loaded with weights to simulate passengers.  Meters on the bus show a tilt of around 34o being displayed.



Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.