Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

Heritage Plaques

--

Hull's heritage plaques can be confusing little things. Some jump out at you, others are hidden away off the beaten track and take some finding. Here, we list them all together with a little information about the plaque, the site and the location.

Heritage Plaques of Hull
Plaque History
plaque - 5 Scale Lane

5 Scale Lane

Although damaged during the Second World War, this property, Hull's oldest dwelling house and the only surviving substantial timber-framed building with gabled end and jettied upper floors, was restored during 1980. The house is believe to date back to the 15th century. You can learn more about 5 Scale Lane elsewhere on this site.

15/17 Linnaeus Street

15/17 Linnaeus Street

 

32-33 Posterngate

32-33 Posterngate

There were several corporation-licensed lodging houses for migrants, but as most people were in and out of Hull within 24 hours, the North Eastern Railway Company provided shorter-term accommodation in 1871 by building a waiting room near Paragon Station. Here travelers could shelter, wash, rest, use toilets and meet ticket agents.

Just three of the official transmigrants' lodging houses remain standing. One, at 32-33 Posterngate, now bears a blue heritage plaque, commemorating its historic role - and Hull's part in populating the New World.

plaque - 65 Mytongate

65 Mytongate

The 1902 Telegraph Act granted Hull Corporation a licence to operate a municipal telephone system and the town's first exchange opened, in 1904, in what was the former Trippett Baths. The rival National Telephone Company had opened an exchange in Mytongate (1911) shortly before the were taken over by the Post Office. The new exchange was acquired by the Corporation in 1914. In 1964 Trippett and Mytongate were replaced by Telephone House in Carr Lane.

The plaque is on the north side of Castle Street, between Fish Street and Vicar Lane.

Heritage Plaque - 105 Alfred Gelder Street

Bank of England

A tricky one this, the building sits between the Old White Harte and the Guildhall at 105 Alfred Gelder Street. However, you have to walk all the way around the back (taking in the historic splendour of the White Harte before you stroll past) into Salthouse Lane to find the plaque and original frontage.

Beverly Gate heritage plaque

Beverley Gate

Once the principle entrance to the city, Beverley Gate is said to be the place where the first overt action of the English Civil War occurred when the gate was closed to deny King Charles the First access to the town and its extensive battery of armaments in the year 1642. An account of the these events, which historians say effected the whole course and final outcome of the English Civil War, can be found in the Stewarts' pages of this site.

The Plaque, dating from 1953, is located in the town walls excavation, adjacent to Prince's Dockside and Whitefriargate

Heritage Plaque - Lillian Bilocca

Bilocca, Lillian

Big Lill Bilocca as she was know on Hessle Road, led the women of the fishing community in a crusade to improve safety on-board fishing vessels following the 1968 triple-trawler tragedy.

The plaque is located on the wall of Barnabus Court on the southern corner of Hessle Road and Boulevard, adjacent to the Smith Statue

plaque - Blaydes House

Blaydes House

The Blaydes family was significant in the port of Hull for upwards of two hundred years. Blaydes House was rebuilt for Benjamin Blayde in 1760 by Joseph Page. It boasts a near complete suite of paneled rooms and a belvedere in the roof. It was restored in 1982 by the Georgian Society for East Yorkshire and acquired by the University of Hull's Maritime Historical Studies Unit.

The plaque was erected in 1986 and is located on the front of the property, on the northern end of High Street next to Blaydes Staith.

plaque - Blaydes Shipyard

Blaydes Shipyard

The Blaydes specialised in shipbuilding. In the eighteenth century, they owned North End Yard, High Street as well as yards at Hessle Cliff and Scarborough. They were Hull's principal shipbuilders in the Georgian era, constructing a variety of vessels - including coastal sloops, Baltic traders and whalers. They also built a large number of ships for the Royal Navy, up to c.1300 tons, in the 1740s and 1750s. Their most famous naval vessel, the Berthia, was renamed 'Bounty' the famous 'Mutiny on The Bounty' vessel.

This plaque was added to Blaydes House in 1986.

Heritage Plaque - The Charterhouse

The CharterhouseCharterhouse

 

Heritage Plaque - 16th/17th century defences

Citadel

Situated on the wall of the new Post Office Sorting Office, Hull's 16th & 17th century City Defences were removed to make way for Victoria Dock, itself now completely filled in and home to a small industrial estate.

When visiting this site it is also worth entering the sorting office to view the memorial to those local Post Office workers who lost their lives in two world wars.

Hull Citadel

Citadel

The eastern point of the site of Hull Citadel is marked by an original watchtower which spent many years in East Park's Kyber Pass as a plaything for children. Amazingly, it avoided too much damage and was rescued to its current location sometime around the millennium year.

plaque - Rank's Flour Mill

Clarence Mill

Hull architect W. Alfred Gelder was the designer of Joseph Rank's new mill which was opened in 1891. The plant was driven by a triple expansion steam engine, one of the earliest of this type to be used in a flour mill. The original mill was totally destroyed during the bombing of World War Two and a replacement built in 1952.

The Clarence Mill plaques was placed on the Drypool Bridge side of the mill during 1986.

plaque - Corn Exchange

Corn Exchange

Now the home of the Hull and East Riding Museum, the Corn Exchange was built by Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln. When paying a visit to this site you can still see their names on the iron gates on the Italianate stone frontage. Standing well back you will be able to see the bearded mask keystone and numerous agricultural implements in the spandrels. The Hull 'three crowns' coat of arms is depicted on the parapet. The building was converted into the Museum of Commerce and Transport in 1925.

Heritage Plaque - Charles Dickens

Dickens, Charles

Giving his first public readings for profit in 1858 (29 April—22 July), Hull was on his first provincial reading tour in 1959 (2 August— 13 November). This was the year he founds and edits 'All the Year Round' and 'A Tale of Two Cities' was serialized in the new weekly journal (30 April—26 November).

In 1860, the year of his second Hull visit, 'Great Expectations' was serialized in 'All the Year Round' (1 December— 3 August 1861 ).

This plaque is located on the side of the New Theatre in Kingston Square.

plaque - Old Dock Office

Dock Offices

The site of the Hull Dock Company's second office building is on the site of an old High Street shipyard, possibly one of the Blaydes yards. It was built in 1820 and further extended in 1840. When the third offices were built in 1870 (in what is now one corner of Queen Victoria Square) the building was re-named Oriental Chambers and its offices occupied by oilseed crushing and timber merchants and the Finnish Sailor's Mission Rooms. The build was used as a club in the 1970s, a pub in the 1980s and acquired by Hull College as part of their School of Catering.

plaque - Fenner's

Fenner, Joseph H.

The original Fenners Works were situated in Chapel Lane from where leather driving belts, patent hair belts, leather fire hose, seamless canvass hose and numerous other belts for thrashing machines were manufactured. The company relocated to Marfleet, east Hull, in response to the demands of scale.

The plaque is located in Chapel Lane, running between Lowgate and High Street. It was added to the building during 1994.

Heritage Plaque - Thomas Ferens

Ferens, Thomas

The land and the cash to build Ferens Art Gallery was just one of the many gifts to Hull by Thomas Robinson Ferens. He was a director of the Garden Village Estate and founder of University College, lately the University of Hull.

This plaque is located on the front of Ferens Art Gallery, facing into Queen Victoria Square.

Ferro-Concrete Workshop

Ferro-Concrete Workshop

Erected in 1986 in Caroline Street, Cannon Street end, this plaque has gone 'missing in action' at the hands of thoughtless thieves.

Heritage Plaque - Forfarshire

Forfarshire and Grace Darling

The topsail schooner Forfarshire, with a two cylinder 190hp engine, was wrecked on the rocks off the Northumberland coast during the night of the 6th/7th of September 1838. Grace Darling, the light keeper's daughter on the Longstone Lighthouse, launched a small cobble and managed to rescue a number of the survivors. You can learn more about Grace Darling's brave deeds by following the link.

The original plaque is weather-worn to the point of being eligible which, considering it has only been up since 1988, shows the severity on this corner of the pier.

The new Forafarshire plaque has been placed on the opposite side of the building to the original (which still remains in situ). The new plaque should last much longer as it is constructed of a modern high density plastic, the original being of aluminium.

If you only find time to visit one plaque, then this is the one to go for. The newly re-developed waterfront area is a delight on a warm summer's day and the Minerva Hotel serves an excellent value for money lunch - indoors or out!

Alfred Gelder

Gelder, Alfred (Civic Society)

 

plaque - Hands on History

Grammar School

The Hull Grammar School was built in 1583 and continued as a school until 1878. Amongst the good and famous educated here are William Wilberforce and Andrew Marvel. The school was converted into a museum in 1988 and is know as 'Hands on History' as visitors are invited to do just that; to handle the exhibits.

This 1988 plaque is located on the side of the school, as are a number of other historical, and highly interesting, plaques dating back to the 1580s. It is worth noting that this site is fully wheelchair .

plaque - Hessle Gate

Hessle Gate

A minor exit from the town heading westwards towards hessle, the route along the Humber Bank footpath still partially remains as a public right-of-way today. Its alignment can been seen along the north side of Albert Dock by looking straight across the Marina. All of the land to the south was reclaimed from the River Humber during the construction of the New Dock, latterly named the Humber Dock.

This plaque is situated on the dock-side of Humber Dock Street, opposite Humber Street. Brindled pavers mark the original position of the wall and gateway.

High Flags Mill

High Flags Mill

Usually located opposite Bromley Street on the riverside building, this plaque has been temporarily removed for safe keeping.

plaque - Holy Trinity

Holy Trinity Church

Cathedral-like in its dimensions, Holy Trinity is of of England's largest parish churches and the earliest brick-built structure of its type. Originally established as a chapel of ease to Hessle around 1285, consecrated in 1424 it became a parish church in 1661. The brick transepts date from 1300-1320, the chancel from 1320-70, the nave 1389-1425 and the upper stages of the crossing tower 1500-30.

The plaque is located opposite Vicar Lane on the side of Holy Trinity Church and was placed here in 1985

Hull School of Anatomy

Hull & East Riding School of Medicine & Anatomy

Destroyed in the second world war, the front facade of this old medical school stood alone, amongst the rubble, for many years. How it survived the 'clean-sweep' policy of successive councils is unknown. In later years it was scheduled so its future was assured. In 2003, the soot of war-time fires was finally swept away as part of a project to build private dwellings to the rear, incorporating the fine Greek Revival frontage into the design.

Hull College plaque

Hull College

Located to the right-hand side of the Park Street Centre. The building has a marvelous, extremely varied, history that Hitler couldn't even destroy - in spit of a very good attempt!

Enter the college and have a look around the main entrance area where you will find one or two interesting relics proudly displayed.

Heritage Plaque - Humber Dock

Humber Dock

Erected in 1999, this plaque commemorates the Humber Dock, which was originally named 'New Dock'. Work commenced on the dock in 1803. Costing £233,000 this 65 acre site opened in 1809 . The material excavated during the building of the Humber Dock was used for the reclamation or the area south of Humber Street. The dock closed to commercial traffic in 1968, re-opening as the Hull Marina in1983.

The plaque can be found half-way along Humber Dock Street, on the eastern side, between the Baltic Wharf and Green Bricks public house.

plaque - Humber Ferry

Humber Ferry

The earliest ferries across the River Humber operated between Hessle, Barton and Barrow on Humber with the first Hull service commencing in 1315. The 'South Ferry' operated from the Horse Staith (locally known as the os' wash). The 1801 Ferryboat Dock Act led to the construction of a pier, parallel to the riverbank and joined to the mainland, by a pier in 1847. A floating pontoon was added to Victoria Pier in 1877 and replaced in the 1930s. The service ended in June 1981 with the opening of the Humber Bridge.

The plaque is mounted on the old ticket office, opposite the pier.

Heritage Plaque - Hydrolic Power Station

Hydraulic Power Station

Located on the corner of Machell Street and Catherine Street, this plaque marks the site of Hull's Hydraulic Power Station; the first public utility in any city and the first hydraulic system laid by a company by Act of Parliament in the UK.

Heritage Plaque - Amy Johnson

Johnson, Amy

 

Starch House Lane heritage plaque

Kingston Starch Works

Erected in 1986 at the entrance to the Kingston Works in Dansom Lane South. The actual site lies within the Reckitt Benckiser works. At the time the plaque was erected, the company was known as Reckitt and Colman.

plaque - Land Of Green Ginger

Land of Green Ginger

One of the strangest named streets in the country and, worst of all, one with no known origin for the name. There have been many theories, but the truth of the name's origin remain lost to time. It forms part of Beverley Street, or Old Beverley Street - a name used in the 14th century. In the 16th century parts of this ancient route were known as Fish Street and The Land of Green Ginger. By the 17th century, the southern part as known as Sewer Lane and archeologists have found evidence of a watercourse running alongside.

plaque - Maister House

Maister House

This is the National Trust's only property in Hull. It was built in 1744-45 for the wealthy merchant Henry Maister, to a design by Joseph Page in consultation with Lord Burlington. The building's interior boasts a fine stone staircase with a wrought iron balustrade by Robert Bakewell. Sir Henry Cheere is responsible for the stucco panels and statue of Ceres. The exterior was restored in 1968 by Francis Johnson.

The plaque, dated 1990, is located on the front of the property, on the west side of High Street, between Bishop Lane and Chapel Lane.

Heritage Plaque - Andrew Marvell

Marvel, Andrew

With the exception of a minor dialogue, probably the product of the poet's prentice days, and the "Elegy on the Death of Lord Hastings", none of Marvell's pastoral and lyric poetry was published during his lifetime. We know it only from the Folio Miscellaneous Poems, which appeared in 1681, three years after Marvell's death.

The plaque is situate on Holderness Road between Jalland Street and Village Road.

plaque - Myton Gate

Myton Gate

One of four main defensive gateways into the town, Myton Gate (the gate) was situate at the western end of Mytongate (the street), now re-named Castle Street. The ruins of this brick structure survived into the late 18th century and rediscovered during the construction of Castle Street in 1976.

The plaque, added in 1990, is located on Warehouse No. 6 on the corner of Prince's Dockside and Castle Street.

Heritage Plaque - Neptune Inn

Neptune Inn

The Neptune Hotel (1794-97) was designed by George Pycock as part of the Trinity House project upgrading its Whitefriargate properties. The Neptune boasted 22 four-poster beds and closed in 1815, becoming Hull's Customs House until 1912. Part of the Neptune has served as a retail outlet for Boots the Chemist for a number of years. The staff canteen, originally the Hotel's banqueting room, retains the original decorative plaster ceiling.

The plaque is located high on the wall of the old Neptune, half way along Whitefriargate.

Heritage Plaque - New Theatre

New Theatre

Previously known as the Assembly Rooms,

Hubert Nicholson

Nicholson, Hubert

Hubert Nicholson, a journalist, was associated with Communist poets in the 1940s (New Lyrical Ballads)

Presently under consideration for future installation.

North Gate

North Gate

One of the weakest points in the town walls defended the way into and out of the town over the North Bridge. It was demolished in the 1770s for the construction of The Dock. Its remains may still lay under the road in front of Oriental Buildings.

So far, I have been unable to locate this plaque. It is meant to be in Dock Office Row, opposite North Walls, but . . . . . ?

Heritage plaque - Paragon Station

Paragon Station

This plaque, located on the wooden snack-sales kiosk to the East of Paragon Station, commemorates the opening of the 1904 railway station. Hull's shipping interests meant that Hull was to become a major railway centre and the old railway station had to be replaced as it was totally incapable of dealing with the passenger throughput.

plaque - Pease Bank

Pease' Bank

The very first bank in Yorkshire was established in 1754 at 18 High Street, the residence of the Pease family. Joseph Peace's banking business, an extension of his mercantile practice, the bank was known as Pease's Old Bank, York Union Bank and, ultimately, as Barclays Bank. The Pease family home was demolished in 1950, but the Pease Warehouse of 1745 and 1760 has been converted into residential accommodation.

The plaque is on a car-park wall (part of the original bank?) at the northern end of High Street.

plaque - Prince's Dock

Prince's Dock

Hull's third dock was built in 1829 as the Junction Dock, it being the 'junction' between Queens Dock and Humber Dock, completing the circle of docks which followed the line of the old town ditch and walls. Built on the site of Parade Row, the Beast Market and the Pig Market, Junction Dock handled general cargoes until it closed to commercial shipping in 1968. The Prince's Quay shopping centre, built on stilts over the dock, opened in 1991.

You can locate this 1986 plaque at the southern end of Prince's Dockside, on the warehouse end.

plaque - Queen's Dock

Queen's Dock

The first stone of Queen's Dock was laid in 1775 following the formation of The Hull Dock Company, as an outcome of the 1774 Hull Dock Act. The dock opened in September 1778 having cost £83,000. The 9.75 acre dock was built on land formerly part of the town moat walls. At various times it was known as 'The Dock', 'The Old Dock' and eventually 'Queen's Dock'. It was filled in during 1935 and re-opened as Queen's Gardens in 1935.

The plaque is situated on the side of the large fountain, on Wilberforce Drive, opposite Hull College and the Wilberforce Monument.

Plaque - RAF Sutton on Hull

RAF Sutton On Hull

This Station was originally designated 17 Balloon Centre and opened as such on Wednesday 28th June 1939. It was built over eighty acres of farmland bordered by Wayne Road, West Carr Lane and the Foredyke Stream - North West of the village of Sutton, Kingston upon Hull.

RAF Sutton on Hull was disposed of on Monday 14th August 1961 and in its place another Centre was built - The Bransholme Centre. This opened on the 30th November 1973 and later it became known as the NORTH POINT Shopping Centre.

Plaque - Railway Dock

Railway Dock

The railway arrived in Hull from Selby in 1840 with terminating at the corner of Kingston Street and Railway Street. Railway Dock was designed by J B Hartley, consulting engineer to the Hull Dock Company. It was open opened in 1846 and covered 2.75 acres. The project cost £123,023. It closed to commercial shipping at the same time as the other Town Docks in 1968. It became part of the Hull Marina in 1984.

The plaque is on the side of Warehouse No 13.

Heritage Plaque - J Arthur Rank

Rank, J. Arthur

A member of a Yorkshire flour-milling family, he entered films in the mid-thirties, apparently seeing them as a means of propagating his Methodist faith. Having failed to secure proper distribution for a quasi-religious film, The Turn of the Tide (1935), he set about acquiring the means of not only production, but distribution and exhibition as well. Within a few years Rank owned two of three major circuits, studios, laboratories and equipment-manufacturers. To many he appeared as an arch-monopolist and ogre, to others the salvation of the British industry.

Situated on Holderness Road between Jalland Street and Village Road, adjacent to the Andrew Marvell plaque.

J. Arthur Rank Rank, J. Arthur (Civic Society)
Joseph Rank

Rank, Joseph

One of the most attractive heritage plaques in the city, according to local historian Chris Ketchall. Why? Well, it may be its proximity to The Mill public house on Holderness Road. The mill has recently been restored and is well worth a visit. Located almost directly opposite the entrance to East Park

 

 

Henry Redmore63 Coultman Street

Redmore, Henry

The Humberside artist Henry Redmore (1820 - 1887) is recognised as one of Britain's greatest marine painters. His earliest works show the influence of the Scottish marine painter, William Anderson (1757-1837) who resided in Hull for some time. John Ward (1798-1849), another great marine painter from Hull, may well have taught Redmore.

Many of Redmore's works depict shipping in the Humber estuary, off the Yorkshire coast and in the harbours of Whitby and Scarborough. He also visited the South West Coast of England, and pictures are recorded by him of Torbay and several other ports on the Devon and Cornish coast.

John Rogers & Martin Beckman

Rogers, John & Beckman, Martin

Proposal for new plaque.

plaque - Seaman's Mission

Seamen's Mission

The Seamen's Mission in Posterngate was built during the year 1866 and extended during 1926/27 to form the Mariners' Church of God The Shepherd. At present (2004) it serves as a public house by the name of 'The Mission'. The site is well worth a visit if only for the novelty of viewing the stained glass windows from the comfort of the bar!

The plaque, erected in 2001, is located on the front of the building, in Posterngate.

plaque - Smith & Nephew

Smith & Nephew

The Smith & Nephew empire began when T. J. Smith commenced the manufacture of cod liver oil from 10 North Church Side in 1860. His business was listed as 'Wholesale Druggist and Cod Liver Oil Merchant'. He was able to purchase the property in 1880 and soon expanded into number 11, using this premises as a small blending and refining factory. The company became T. J. Smith & Nephew in 1896 when he was joined by H Nelson Smith. Now based in Nelson Street, Smith & Nephew is one of the world's leading health-care manufactures.

Heritage Plaque - Stevie Smith

Smith, Stevie

Stevie Smith is a poet who is frivolous yet serious, an expert tightrope walker whose poems are both devastating and bracing, childlike yet sophisticated, they celebrate life and death, love and anger, fables and truth. Her semi autobiographical, 'Novel on Yellow Paper', was an instant success in the 1930's and she became popular again in the 60's for her readings on the radio and on stage. She still has an enthusiastic following, and although some critics consider her to be 'lightweight', there are notable writers and critics who have appreciated her work: Sylvia Plath confessed herself to be a Smith addict, and wrote that Stevie was one of the poets who were 'possessed by their rhythms as by the rhythms of their own breathing.

plaque - Suffolk Place

Suffolk Place

The name Suffolk Place is said to have derived from Michael De La Pole, Earl of Suffolk, who is said to have rebuilt the original Myton manor house, having acquired it in 1330. The house was originally built for Edward I's Keeper of Hull. The site was originally bounded by Marketgate (now Lowgate), Bishopgate (Bowlalley Lane) and Beverley Street. The property was gradually demolished from 1663 onwards and Hull's General Post Office was built here between 1904-09. The old Post Office buildings were converted into high-status apartments at the turn of the 21st century.

plaque - Town Walls

Town Walls

This plaque, erected in 1990, is one of three which can be found by walking along Prince's Dockside and Humber Dockside. Some are much easier to find than others!

The old town walls, part of Hull's extensive fortifications, of Hull were demolished to make way for the industrial development in the form of the town docks. While this robbed us of a major tourist attraction such as that of York, following the line of the town moat must have saved an awful lot of digging at the time. The exact line of western side of the walls is now picked out in coloured bricks along the whole length of Prince's Dockside and the Hull Marina on Humber Dockside.

The lower plaque was erected in 1994 is located on the walls of the old warehouse at the corner of Mytongate and Prince's Dockside. Following the line of brindled paving towards the City Centre will help you discover the third.

Heritage Plaque - Town Walls
plaque - Trinity House

Trinity House

By the 15th century, the original religious guild founded in 1369, Trinity House had become taken on a distinctive maritime flavour. Trinity House owns most of the property around Posterngate with construction dates between the medieval period and the 18th century.

The Trinity House plaque is easily spotted on Posterngate and dates from 1986.

Heritage Plaque - Volunteer Fire Brigade

Volunteer Fire Brigade

Hall Street was the home of the Hull Volunteer Fire Brigade and the original building still bears some very elaborate moldings of (it is believed) the Brigade's Captains and three horse's heads.

Locating the site is relatively easy. Take the first left on Spring Bank, heading away from the City Centre, and the building and plaque are on the left, just before the entrance to LazerQuest.

plaque - Hull Marina

Warehouse 13

Opened in 1938 as the Humber Dock and extended later to encompass the adjoining Railway Dock. The Edward Welsh constructed Warehouse No. 13 was built in 1857 for the Hull Dock Company and converted into luxury flats to coincide with the opening of the Hull Marina. Project architects were the Rosner Partnership.

This plaque was unveiled by H. M. The Queen on the 17th July 1987.

Old Watergate

Watergate

Built into the 14th century walls, the old Watergate formed part of the alley known as Little Lane until its demolition during the 1980s. The South End Jetty was gradually reclaimed from the two rivers as a result of natural silting. There was a fort, landing place, ducking-stool, privy and a mast and block makers. By the end of the 18th century a shipyard had also developed and the 'foul South End' became the dumping-ground for the city's rubbish.

The plaque, erected in 1997, can be discovered by crossing Castle Street, from the King Billy Statue, into Queen Street. Turn left into Humber Street (by The Heritage public house) and the plaque is on a wall, on the right, at the bottom of this street.

15/17 Linnaeus Street

Western Synagogue

In 1999 Exobus Project acquired the former Western Synagogue and Hull Hebrew Schools buildings in Hull, England.

These were restored, and Chanukah 1999 saw the dedication of the former synagogue as the Judeo-Christian Study Centre (JCSC), with its clearly designated Beit Ha Midrash (House of Study); Beit Knesset (House of Meeting); Beit-Sifre (House of Books); Beit Tefila (House of Prayer) and Beit Lechem (House of Bread).

Wilmington Bridge

Wilmington Bridge

Originally a railway bridge, it is now a pedestrian walkway and cycle track linking Wincolmlee on the west bank of the River Hull with Foster Street and Stoneferry Road in East Hull.

The railway lines have gone and the adjacent Earle's cement works have been demolished.

Wilson Line

Wilson Line

Originally located on the recreation centre at the corner of Commercial Lane and Kingston Street, this plaque is one of a hand full officially classified as 'missing'.


Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.